Welcome Warm Weather with Creamy Spring Asparagus Soup
For those of us who live in the Northern Hemisphere in regions with distinguishable seasons, spring is here at last. There’s no better way to honor the arrival of spring than by consuming the fresh seasonal produce that is finally available once again! We developed this recipe for Creamy Spring Asparagus Soup to take advantage of some of our favorite local produce: “Hadley grass,” also known as asparagus. Keep reading to learn more about the Ayurvedic approach to seasonal change — or scroll down for the recipe!
Change is the Only Constant
As New Englanders, we understand well that the only constant is change. Every few months, like it or not, the seasons shift, and we get a lesson in impermanence. In the Pioneer Valley of Western Mass, where Full Moon Ghee is based, we are currently rejoicing with the unfolding of a beautiful spring. Spring often feels like the shortest of the seasons, bookended as it is by cold weather that can be slow to release its hold on one end, and, on the other, sweltering summer temps that seem to arrive just when it’s started to be consistently perfect out!
An Ayurvedic Perspective
Spring is certainly a transitional season, and Ayurveda, the indigenous Indian science of health, teaches us how to support our bodies to weather the transition. You are likely already familiar with one of the key ways to do this: eat seasonally! According to Ayurveda, foods that are seasonally available tend to carry precisely those qualities needed to balance out the effects of the season on our bodies. Our Creamy Spring Asparagus Soup is an easy, delicious way to incorporate bitter, astringent asparagus with pungent garlic and onion into your diet exactly when these qualities are most called for.
The Recipe: Creamy Spring Asparagus Soup
- 3 tablespoons ghee, divided
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces; keep tips separate
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
How to Make Creamy Spring Asparagus Soup
- In a wide pot over medium heat, melt 2 Tablespoons of the ghee. Add onion and celery, and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and asparagus (reserving the tips), and sauté until they begin to caramelize and soften. Add the spices, salt and pepper, and stir to coat. Sauté 2 minutes more, until spices are fragrant.
- Add the broth. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10-15 minutes — until asparagus is just tender enough to pierce easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan, melt the remaining 1 Tablespoon of ghee. When hot, add the asparagus tips. Season with salt and pepper, and sauté until tender.
- Remove soup from the heat and puree to your desired consistency, using a hand blender or carafe blender. Serve your Creamy Spring Asparagus Soup topped with the sautéed asparagus tips!