The Perfect Treat to Make on a Cozy Winter Day: Healthy Apple Crisp with Maple Syrup and Ghee!
Got a few apples kicking around in your fridge? Make this simple, satisfying, and good-for-you treat to warm you up on a cozy winter day. All it takes is a handful of ingredients and a hot oven to transform nutritious apples into a luxurious and satisfying treat. This healthy apple crisp with maple syrup and ghee works just as well for breakfast as it does for dessert!
Keep reading to learn about why we use maple syrup and ghee in our crisp, to order the best ghee online, and to get the recipe we turn to when we’re craving something sweet and nourishing!
Why Use Ghee and Maple in Your Apple Crisp?
Ghee–Indian-style clarified butter–has a delicious buttery flavor and texture, but with some important differences from butter. Since we remove the milk solids in the process of making Full Moon Ghee, it is safe for most people who are sensitive to dairy–delivering the same important fat-soluble vitamins and minerals as butter, without irritating your gut. Ghee also has a higher smoke point than other fats, making it ideal for baking. Similar to butter, ghee makes for a crisp and rich-tasting topping for soft cooked fruit.
We sweeten our apple crisp topping with maple syrup, our favorite all-natural sweetener. Maple syrup contains a number of good-for-you antioxidants that can reduce inflammation and protect against cancer. It is also lower on the glycemic index than refined sugars. And of course, it’s delicious!
Healthy Apple Crisp with Maple Syrup and Ghee
For the Filling:
- 3-4 apples (or 5 peaches, or 5 cups fruit of your choice)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Juice of ½ a lemon
For the Topping:
- 3/4 cup oats
- ¾ cup almond meal or blanched almond flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup melted ghee (You can order ghee from our online store!)
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- Optional: ¼ cup shredded coconut and/or chopped nuts
- Extra maple syrup or melted ghee, yogurt, ice cream, or whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Leave the skin on the apples, or peel them if you prefer, and chop into ½ inch pieces. Add chopped apples to an 8×8-inch glass or ceramic baking pan, along with ½ tsp cinnamon, and the ginger powder, cardamom, and lemon juice. Stir to evenly distribute lemon juice and spices.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, almond meal or flour, cinnamon, vanilla, ghee, maple syrup, and coconut and nuts, if using. Stir until well combined. Spread the topping evenly over the apples. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until topping is golden brown and crisp.
- Serve warm. We love this healthy apple crisp with maple syrup or melted ghee drizzled on top, or with yogurt, ice cream, or whipped cream!
9 Surprising Benefits of Maple Syrup – Dr. Axe
Recipe adapted from The Everyday Ayurveda Cookbook by Kate O’Donnell