A delicious use for ghee: Turmeric Latte with warming spices
Golden Milk is a traditional Ayurvedic recipe, which we’ve dubbed a Turmeric Latte, and has been used for centuries to aid digestion, calm the nervous system, and focus the mind. It’s a great alternative pick-me-up to afternoon coffee. When taken before bed, a Turmeric Latte can help curb late-night cravings, and prime your system for effective overnight resting-and-digesting – in turn promoting deeper sleep, regular elimination, clearer skin, and a host of other benefits.
With a healthy dose each of turmeric and ginger, plus a few other warming spices known to stimulate digestion, you may notice yourself experiencing a lit-from-within feeling before you’ve even finished sipping! First we’ll go into some of the benefits of our Turmeric Latte ingredients – but if you’re feeling fired up for a golden-spiced drink, scroll down for the recipe.
Turmeric and Ghee: A Powerful Combination
Turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. The main active compound found in turmeric that yields these benefits is called curcumin. Curcumin is fat-soluble, so preparing your Turmeric Latte with a nutritious fat like ghee will help your body absorb the benefits of this ingredient more deeply and completely.
Come On Baby, Light My Fire
Ayurveda – India’s 5,000-year-old science of life – teaches us that healthy agni, or digestive fire, is key: not only to a settled-feeling tummy, but to every aspect of our wellbeing. We can “stoke” our agni with foods and spices that have a heating quality – including spicy ginger, fragrant cinnamon, and pungent black pepper.
Enhance Your Turmeric Latte with Flavored Ghee
At Full Moon Ghee, each batch of ghee is prepared on the full moon, with chants and prayers for the wellbeing, tranquility, and vitality of all who enjoy it. In addition to traditional ghee (available in our online store in 9-oz, 16-oz, 32-oz, or half gallon jars), we’ve developed a number of delicious flavored ghees. We believe a couple of these flavors – Golden Spiced (infused with turmeric, ginger and ashwagandha) and Maple (crafted with New England-sourced maple cream) – would be especially delicious in a Turmeric Latte. Try it out and let us know what you think!
The Recipe: Turmeric Latte
- 1 tablespoon Full Moon Ghee – we recommend Original, Golden Spiced, or Maple!
- 1 cup milk of choice (i.e., whole cow’s milk, almond milk, hemp milk, or coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- A pinch each of powdered cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and fresh ground black pepper
- A pinch saffron threads (optional)
- 1-2 tsp raw honey (optional)
- Small saucepan
- Whisk or immersion blender
- Your favorite mug
Turmeric Latte Instructions:
- Place the ghee in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- When the ghee is melted, whisk in the milk, spices, and saffron (or blend with your immersion blender) until warm and starting to steam, but not boiling. Remove from heat.
- Pour your turmeric latte into a mug and sweeten to taste with raw honey. To reap the greatest digestive benefit, we recommend drinking your Turmeric Latte 30 minutes after a meal or before bedtime.
Sources for This Article:
10 Proven Health Benefits of Turmeric and Curcumin – Healthline