Learn the Answer to Your Question: “Is Ghee Dairy Free?” + Three Delicious Recipes That Will Warm Your Soul
The trend of Bulletproof Coffee™ has become increasingly popular in recent years, and many people are finding great results in their weight loss plans by adding butter and oil to their coffee. And replacing that butter with ghee in your Bulletproof Coffee™ has a lot of advantages. You can read about those advantages in our blog post. But are you wondering, ‘Is ghee dairy free,’ because are looking for a dairy free addition to your beverages? Keep reading to learn the full answer, plus check out three tasty recipes that will bring your drinks to the next level.
Is Ghee Dairy Free?
Ghee is made from the process of clarifying butter — removing milk solids to leave you with pure butterfat. So the basic answer to the question, “Is ghee dairy free?” is “No.” However, ghee is free of casein and lactose, the milk solids that are most often responsible for dairy sensitivities. So if you are abstaining from dairy because of a lactose or casein intolerance, then ghee could be the alternative you’ve been looking for.
Bulletproof Coffee with a Twist: Cocoa Coffee and Ghee
Bulletproof Coffee™ is simply coffee with the addition of butter and MCT oil or coconut oil. We’ve added a bit of cocoa to give our version a sweet mocha taste.
1 cup of coffee
1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of Full Moon Ghee
- Brew your coffee the way you like it, plus your one teaspoon of cocoa powder.
- Add the ghee while the beverage is still hot enough to enable ghee to melt.
- Blend for 20 seconds, pour it into your favorite mug, and enjoy a gheelicious morning beverage. For a stronger cocoa flavor, try adding chocolate ghee!
Dandy Blend with Ghee
You could also make a delicious beverage by using Dandy Blend instead of coffee. Dandy blend is a mixture of dandelion root, chicory root, barley, and rye. The powder is quite similar to instant coffee in its texture and mixes just as easily. Some prefer using Dandy Blend because it is caffeine-free and still provides energy through minerals that support adrenal functions.
One of the best features: Dandy Blend is easy to use. Just add your desired amount to water to get your mix. Next, add your teaspoon of cocoa powder and your tablespoon of Full Moon Ghee (or chocolate ghee) for a delicious beverage you will enjoy fitting into your morning routine.
Remember to add your ghee while the beverage is still hot and blend for 20 seconds to ensure the best quality. You can use a traditional blender or an immersion blender for either of these techniques.
Chai Tea with Turmeric Ghee
Turmeric is a lovely addition to the Chai flavors and will be sure to get your day off on the right foot. Or, for that matter, to give you the best pick me any time of day. Here is a great Chai Tea recipe from The Lotus Room that would be wonderfully finished with our Turmeric Spiced Ghee.
Black Chai Tea
1 1-inch knob fresh turmeric
1 1/2-inch knob fresh ginger
Hearty Pinch of ground Cardamom || Clove || Cinnamon || Nutmeg ||
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 teaspoon ghee
2 Cups whole milk OR Coconut Milk
1 Tablespoon local honey
- Peel both the turmeric and ginger and grate them finely. Combine ghee, turmeric, ginger, cardamom, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla in a bowl and mash with a spoon until they form a fine paste.
- Steep black tea in hot water and set to the side.
- Pour milk into saucepan and spoon in all of the paste. Turn the heat up to medium-high and warm the ingredients together until little bubbles just begin to creep up the sides of the pot.
- Turn off the heat and cover the saucepan, allowing the turmeric and ginger to steep about 3 minutes.
- Strain the golden tea through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Combine equal parts black and golden tea.
- Stir in the honey and finish with a dash of cinnamon.
Whether your favorite way to start the day is with coffee or a tea beverage, ghee can make an ideal addition. The assortment of beverages that could be made is limitless and we would love to hear about your favorite take on these recipes.